Frustration and rage were the only emotions on my mind for most of yesterday, watching the offense and defense firing on all cylinders, and yet, still seeing a mark in the loss column. This morning, reflecting back on the game, there were some definite positives to the game, as well as some negatives. Here are Ramblin’ Fan’s quick thoughts about yesterday.
1. The loss of Amendola is not the end of the world. Gibson, Givens, and Kendricks all stepped up to fill the void with 14 receptions for 216 yards.
2. The Miami wind must have been crazy if Zuerlein missed three field goals. At halftime, one of the on field analyst was asked why the teams were not throwing deep. They said simply said, “The wind!”
3. People should look at strength of schedule before claiming someone is the best “rush defense” in the NFL. Jackson and Richardson did not seem to have any problems.
4. Speaking of, we may have finally found a nice balance between the two backs. The running backs were extremely effective in the run game and in setting up the play action.
5. Sam Bradford is still holding the ball for too long…
6. Ryan Tannehill was not that impressive throwing the ball, but did what he had to do to win the game. However, he can’t rely on screen passes to win games in the future against the NFC West and that does not scream “progressing” to me.
7. St. Louis’ rushing defense looked a lot better, allowing 18 carries for only 19 yards, no touchdowns.
8. Janoris Jenkins looked like a rookie for the first time yesterday. He cannot get caught staring in the backfield like that.
9. Our pass rush got beat by a solid screen game and quick shovel passes.
10. Brit Miller is the Special Teams Captain, he should know better than to pick up that ball…
11. Craig Dahl was lighting people on defense, getting in people’s faces after the play was over, and intimidating wide receivers. We need that Craig Dahl to show up every week.
12. Coach Fisher did a nice job challenging the near-touchdown by Brian Quick. It was a big play, and stopped the clock either way.
13. Poor clock management on the final drive, should have used the second timeout a lot quicker and given up on the routes in the middle of the field. You absolutely cannot take a sack like that at the end of the game either.
14. However, Bradford had to eat it on that play. No place to throw the ball, no place to run. Throwing the ball away would have been a larger loss of yards and a loss of downs on an intentional grounding call, smart by Bradford.
15. 66 yard field goal attempt showed confidence in Zuerlein, and was the right call at the end of the game. It had the distance, but the wind seemed to push it left, just like the other misses. Likely would have hit that in a dome.
16. Still cannot find ways to win on the road, luckily the Rams take on the Packers at home next week before flying to London.
17. New England has to hate the NFC West…