The Ram’s defensive line is definitely an interesting situation. Along the starting line they have 2 former first round picks and a former pro bowler. Sounds like they should be solid right? Injury issues and lack of depth have plagued the Rams’ line over the last couple seasons, but it appears they are ready to take a huge step forward. Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo created a tremendous defensive line out in New York and found a way to constantly pressure the QB. If he is going to be able to do that this year, here are the guys who’ll get them there:
- Leonard Little: One of the better defensive players the Rams have had over the last few seasons, Little appears to be healthy and completely ready to have another big year.
- Chris Long: Long will be the starting RE this season, bringing a great mix of speed and power to the line. Showed terrific explosiveness last season with 16 QB hurries.
- James Hall: Hall has been impressing coaches this season with a tremendous work ethic and even better attitude. He appears to have the backup spot locked up and is poised to have a solid comeback season.
- Victor Adeyanju: I remember Adeyanju’s rookie season. When he returned a fumble for a touchdown I though “Wow, this kid is going places.” Well, he didn’t become a star as fast as I wanted him to, but he is slowly getting better as the years go along.
- Backup’s Backups- C.J. Ah You and Eric Moore
- Adam Carriker: The Rams injury prone first round pick from three years ago, Carriker will already miss a couple weeks with a sprained ankle. The lack of depth however allows him to keep his starting job. Hopefully he will have a breakout season this year.
- Clifton Ryan: Ryan has been a very pleasent surprise for the Rams and looks to be the starting right DT this season. If he continues to improve, he could become a real force on the Rams’ defensive line.
- Hollis Thomas: A seasoned veteran signed out of free agency, Thomas has already had a big impact on the Rams this season.
- Dorell Scott: The Rams’ fourth round draft pick, Scott has already been impressing coaches early on in camp. Although he will not see a tremendous amount of playing time this year, he is definitely someone to watch for.
- Backup’s Backups: Antwon Burton and Gary Gibson