I’m back, baby! My computer screen still isn’t fixed, but I made other arrangements for the time being. Since I haven’t had a chance to discuss the preseason game yet, I thought I’d start there.
Things I liked: Hmmm… This is a tough one. There wasn’t much to like, to be honest. I thought the rookie DE’s did a decent job, especially my boy George Selvie. Larry Grant continues to prove that he is going to be starting on opening day. Rookie DT Jermelle Cudjo was very active, and apparently he has been a standout in camp as well.
Things I didn’t like: Pretty much everything else. Offensive line-Terrible. Secondary-Abysmal. Backup running backs- Atrocious. That about sums it up.
Now let’s take a look at my Five Things To Watch from before the game and how those things played out.
1. Sam Bradford- Bradford certainly didn’t shine, as he finished 6-for-13 for 57 yards. It’s hard to judge his performance because of the terrible O-line play, but needless to say, it wasn’t what we hoped for.
2. Wide Receivers – I didn’t think anyone really stood out in this group, although once again the O-line didn’t do them any favors. A few guys made some plays, like Laurent Robinson and Danny Amendola, but nothing to write home about yet again. I will say that I think Amendola will make this team, and I didn’t think so a few weeks ago.
3. Tackles – I’ve said enough about the line at this point, so I’m not going to keep hammering home the point. I will say that it sounds like Coach Spags has established a starting line, and they are reportedly going to see plenty of action on Saturday. For those curious, the line is expected to be, from left to right, Saffold, Bell, Brown, Goldberg, Smith.
4. Rookie Ends – I did think this group was one of the bright spots. Selvie got some pressure, and overall this group played well. It sounds like Selvie has been out of practice for a few days with a leg injury, so that’s more bad news.
5. Corners – This group was hard to judge because so many guys didn’t play due to injury, but I think it is obvious after Saturday that Marquis Johnson isn’t going to make this team. He was pretty awful. I think he is going to have to make a complete 180 to make the final squad, unless the injuries persist and we are forced to keep him.
Topics: Adam Goldberg, Danny Amendola, George Selvie, Jacob Bell, Jason Brown, Jason Smith, Jermelle Cudjo, Larry Grant, Laurent Robinson, Marquis Johnson, Preseason, Rodger Saffold, Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams