The Los Angeles Rams aren’t expected to exercise the fifth-year option on former first-round pick Greg Robinson, according to one report.
Earlier this week, the news broke about how the Los Angeles Rams are expected to exercise the fifth-year option for defensive superstar Aaron Donald, which seems like a no brainer when considering he’s arguably one of the league’s top players at his position. While Donald turned out to be one of the biggest steals from the 2014 NFL Draft, the same can’t unfortunately be said about former first-round pick Greg Robinson.
Related Story: 10 WRs For Rams to Consider 2017 NFL Draft
The argument can be made that Robinson is considered one of the biggest busts from that draft class, and if the Rams could go back in time to change their selection, chances are they would end up doing so when seeing how the last three years have turned out. Expectations were obviously high for Robinson coming out of Auburn in 2014, and despite Sean McVay stating shortly after his hiring he wasn’t ready to give up on the left tackle just yet, at least Los Angeles seems to be taking the safe approach over his contract situation.
Re Rams exercising 5th-year option on Aaron Donald, team not expected to do the same on OT Greg Robinson, No. 4 pick in 2014.
— Gary Klein (@LATimesklein) April 12, 2017
As bad as it sounds, this news by Gary Klein shouldn’t be a surprise to Rams fans when looking at Robinson’s struggles since coming to the NFL. The fact that Robinson leads the league with 31 total penalties over the last two seasons is a perfect example of why Los Angeles seems to be steering clear of exercising the fifth-year option.
More from Ramblin' Fan
- Ex-Rams Chris Long says Rams could move Aaron Donald this offseason
- What if…? This LA Rams IOL shockingly opts for free agency?
- 5 problems LA Rams must avoid in 2023’s initial roster
- Brock Purdy is perfect example of why Rams should draft Day 3 QB
- LA Rams DC Raheem Morris closing in on this HC job . . .
Then again, maybe Robinson will pull off the unthinkable by finally stepping up his game for the Rams during his fourth year with the team since he knows 2017 could be his last chance to prove himself worthy. Otherwise, there’s a good chance Los Angeles simply cuts their losses, and decides to move on from their former first-round pick after the upcoming season.