4. Sammy Watkins
In what turned out to be one of the biggest surprises of the preseason, the Los Angeles Rams pulled off an unexpected trade with the Buffalo Bills to land Sammy Watkins with the intention of giving Jared Goff the reliable deep threat he’s been desperate for in the passing game. Despite all of the concerns surrounding whether he could stay healthy, the Rams realized this was a risk they could afford to take since there’s a reason Watkins was a first-round pick back in 2014 due to his speed and playmaking ability.
More from Ramblin' Fan
- Have you heard Les Snead’s latest interview? Are LA Rams playing possum?
- LA Rams should add ‘pass-rush specialist’ in free agency
- LA Rams fan guide: Which ‘RE’ category do you fall into?
- Do LA Rams have golden opportunity to re-hire DB coach Aubrey Pleasant?
- 3 ways Cam Akers will help you forget Rams RB Todd Gurley in 2023
While his numbers may not standout through the team’s first two games of the new season like some of the other No. 1 wideouts in the league, defenders concerned over the whereabouts of Watkins has at least benefited other members of Los Angeles when it comes to getting open. Not to mention, Watkins has caught every pass thrown in his direction from Goff (seven for 88 yards).
Eventually, the Rams hope to see those numbers go up for Watkins since part of the reason for only seeing seven catches may also have to do with still learning the offense. But with Los Angeles already heading into their third game of the 2017 season, Watkins can’t afford to waste anymore time if he hopes to eventually earn that hefty contract down the road.