Round 3 pick 79
University of Michigan cornerback David Long was a second third round pick and had a “best player available” feel to it. Standing 5-foot-11 and weighing 196 pounds, Long was a defensive back many projected as a slot defender. The LA Rams already had a solid slot cornerback in Nickell Robey-Coleman, so Long added competition and depth to the defensive backfield.
More from Rams Draft
- 4 needs that Rams must address in 2023 NFL Draft
- LA Rams projected to be awarded 4 comp picks in 2023 NFL Draft
- 4 reasons why LA Rams trading back in 2023 NFL Draft seems likely
- Latest PFF mock draft exhausts rookie QBs before LA Rams pick
- LA Rams last game carries huge impact on their 2023 NFL Draft
As a rookie playing behind a competent veteran, Long saw limited action in 2019. He played in just eight games where he took just 10 percent of the defensive snaps. He was more active on special teams, where he played in 29 percent of the available snaps.
Despite his limited role, he scored rather well by Pro Football Focus, hitting a 67.4 for a rookie defensive back. That’s a solid rating and confirms that Long is a talented player who translates well into the Rams defensive scheme.
Look for great competition from Long for more playing time this season. His ever expanding role in 2020 contributed to the preseason ranking of the Rams defensive backfield as best in the NFL.