The LA Rams are not alone. You see, all 32 NFL teams are competing to whittle their current roster down to the most essential 53 players who will embark on the journey to the 2023 season. And the LA Rams have been patiently trying to coach up, develop, and elevate a busload of rookies to the NFL level. For some of the 40+ rookies on the Rams roster, their journey to an NFL will continue.
For many of those young players, their journey ends now. All eyes are now turning to each and every NFL team, and monitoring their decisions between now and the deadline on Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2023, at 1:00 pm PT.
For fans of the LA Rams, this is simply the next step, the time of the NFL schedule when the Rams front office makes the challenging decisions over who stays and who does not. But for the players who are released, and in many ways for their families and friends, this is a sad time.
For some, the path to their lifelong dream and ambition to compete in the NFL just got a great deal more difficult. But for some others, their hope of becoming an NFL player and competing on one of the 32 teams, and making football plays in front of NFL fans, has come to an end.
With 32 NFL teams releasing as many as 37 players apiece, as many as 1,184 football plays will bury the NFL waiver wire in huge batches of players. And for the LA Rams, each player must be considered for the potential to upgrade the Rams roster.
Of course, if the LA Rams plan to claim any player off the NFL Waiver Wire, that will result in one additional cut from the players who have worked out throughout training camp and the preseason with the Rams coaches.
One that Tuesday deadline has passed by 24 hours, NFL teams can begin the arduous task of reclaiming players, 16 per team, to sign on with the team's practice squad. While many of the players sign to the practice squad of their former team, there are the occasions when a player believes that their chances to be called up to an active roster improve by signing elsewhere.
I: The LA Rams agree to trade for Pittsburgh Steelers IOL Kevin Dotson on Sunday, August 27. Dotson had started all 17 games for the Steelers at left guard in 2022. Find out more at this link here.
II: Rams release their first batch of 14 players on the way to get to their 53-man roster limit.
III: Rams release their second batch of 19 players on their way to their 53-man limit.
IV: The Rams release the roster cuts
LA Rams Roster Cuts Tracker: Roster 53- Cuts remaining (0)
Last Updated: Tuesday, August 29, 2023. 1:01 pm PT
Wave I: Player Name - Position Played - Date - Running count
- Richard LeCounte - DB - August 14, 2023 - (1)
- Taron Vincent - DT - August 28, 2023 - (2)
- Tanner Ingle - S - August 28, 2023 - (3)
- Kalechi Anyalebechi - LB - August 28, 2023 - (4)
- Braxton Burmeister - WR - August 28, 2023 - (5)
- Timarcus Davis - DB - August 28, 2023 - (6)
- Tyon Davis - DB - August 28, 2023 - (7)
- Vincent Gray - DB - August 28, 2023 - (8)
- Tyler Hudson - WR - August 28, 2023 - (9)
- Jordan Jones - DB - August 28, 2023 - (10)
- Sean McGinn - IOL - August 28, 2023 - (11)
- Lance McCutcheon - WR - August 28, 2023 (12)
- Camren McDonald - TE - August 28, 2023 (13)
- Christian Sims - TE - August 28, 2023 (14)
- (WAIVED, Injured) Ryan Smenda - ILB - August 28, 2023 (15)
Wave II: Player Name - Position Played - Date - Running count
- T.J. Carter - DE -August 29, 2023 (1)
- A.J. Acuri - OT -
- Tanner Brown - K -
- Daniel Hardy - OLB -
- Quindell Johnson - DB
- Nikola Kalinic - TE
- Mike McCalister - C
- Cameron McCutcheon - DB
- Grant Miller - G
- Xavier Smith - WR
- Keir Thomas - OLB
- Austin Trammell - WR
- Dresser Winn - QB
- Jaiden Woodbey - LB/S
- (Veteran-Terminated) Marquise Copeland - DT
- (Veteran-Terminated) Royce Freeman - RB
- (Veteran-Terminated) Brett Rypien - QB
- (WAIVED, Injured) DeAndre Square - ILB
- (WAIVED, Injured) Rashaad Torrence - DB
Wave III: Player Name - Position Played
- Logan Bruss - IOL
- Robert Rochell - DB
- Tyler Johnson - WR
Please note: To add any players, the Rams will be forced to create a corresponding open roster spot. The Rams will most certainly need to add a placekicker, but more additions could be coming as well.