2024 NFL Draft picks
The next NFL draft is on track to be unique for the LA Rams. What I mean is that for the first time in LA Rams history since hiring Sean McVay to be the Rams head coach, the Rams are on track to make a selection in Round 1 of the 2024 NFL Draft. While the Rams 2023 NFL Draft did not hit on all 14 selections, the Rams emerged with at least five starters from their 2023 rookie draft class, and the Rams hope that they have similar success in 2024 as well:
So when are the Rams scheduled to make their selections? Before any compensatory picks are awarded, the LA Rams are slated to make seven selections in the 2024 NFL Draft:
- Round 1 – The Rams hold their first-round pick
- Round 2– The Rams hold their second-round pick
- Round 3 – The Rams hold their third-round pick
- Round 4 – TRADE: The Rams traded away their fourth-round pick
- Round 5 - The Rams have obtained the Pittsburgh Steelers fifth-round pick.
- Round 5 – The Rams hold their fifth-round pick
- Round 6 - TRADE: The Rams traded away their sixth-round pick to the Buffalo Bills
- Round 6 – The Rams have obtained the Denver Broncos-sixth round pick
- Round 7 - TRADE: The Rams traded away their seventh-round pick to the Broncos
2024 projections for awarded compensatory picks have been determined for the 2024 NFL Draft by OverTheCap.com, and the LA Rams are projected to be awarded four compensatory picks as shown in the table below:
- Round 3- None
- Round 4 - None
- Round 5- None
- Round 6- Two picks (Matt Gay to Colts, Baker Mayfield to Bucs)
- Round 7- Two picks (Nick Scott to Bengals, Robinson to Giants)
- Total Comp Picks- 4
So combining the two tables, the LA Rams are projected to hold 10 picks in the 2024 NFL Draft. They will occur as follows:
- Round 1 –1- The Rams hold their first-round pick
- Round 2– 1- The Rams hold their second-round pick
- Round 3 –1- The Rams hold their third-round pick
- Round 4 – 0- The Rams hold no fourth-round picks
- Round 5 - 2 - The Rams hold their pick plus the Steelers pick.
- Round 6 - 3 - The Rams hold the Bills pick plus 2 projected comp picks.
- Round 7 - 2 - The Rams hold 2 projected comp picks
- Total - 10 picks
From this early vantage point, the Rams 2024 NFL Draft is taking a very similar shape to that of the 2023 NFL Draft with two notable exceptions. The Rams hold a pick in Round 1, which could be leveraged to select an immediate Day 1 starter, or used to accumulate additional draft picks. The second difference is the fact that the LA Rams do not have multiple picks in Round 3. That means that the LA Rams will not have an opportunity to select in the same round that they trade out of.
Perhaps the most significant difference in the Rams' 2024 draft from that of 2023 is the absence of a huge gap between the Rams' Day 2 picks from their Day 3 picks. Even without a Rams pick in Round4, the Rams currently project to pick early in Round 5.