Earlier today the St. Louis Rams lost tackle/guard Rodger Saffold to the Oakland Raiders. As much as the loss will hurt, the Rams now have some hope to go after a big name free agent or a couple medium-tier free agents.
With the Cleveland Browns signing 49ers safety Donte Whitner, the Broncos signing T.J. Ward, and the Philadelphia Eagles signing Malcolm Jenkins, it looked as if for a moment like the race for Byrd would come down to Bills or Rams.
That does not look like its going to be the case however as it has been reported that Byrd is going to head down to New Orleans tonight to visit the Saints.
Bills free-agent S Jairus Byrd is on his way to New Orleans to visit the Saints, per source.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 11, 2014
The Saints would have to open up some cap space, but Byrd would not be taking the time to travel to the Big Easy if there wasn’t some possibility of being signed.
After the Rams lost Saffold, it looked like Schwartz was going to end up being his replacement as the team was showing interest in the Chiefs guard. That status has now changed as Schwartz has signed with the New York Giants.
Yes, the Giants are in agreement with guard Geoff Schwartz on a contract.
— Dan Graziano (@DanGrazianoESPN) March 11, 2014
The Rams will now have to find another way to fill in their offensive line and it looks more and more like that is going to be in the draft.
- Safety T.J. Ward signed with the Denver Broncos
- Safety Antoine Bethea signed with the San Francisco 49ers
- Safety Malcolm Jenkins signed with the Philadelphia Eagles
- Wide Receiver Golden Tate visiting with the Lions
- Rams Guard Chris Willimas getting interest from three teams, including Texans
- 49ers trade a 6th round pick for Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert
- Rams CB Quinton Pointer did not receive minimum tender as exclusive-rights free agent.
- Free Agent TE Jermichael Finley to visit the Seattle Seahawks